Small-town baker, Kelly, gets a big surprise when she is invited to compete on a Valentine’s Day baking show in New York City – and an even bigger surprise when she runs into her ex-fiance.
Starring Erin Cahill and Brendan Penny.
PREMIERING Saturday February 15 9:00 PM/8c
Wednesday February 19 10:00 PM/9c
Saturday February 22 7:00 PM/6c
Sunday February 23 2:00 PM/1c
Tuesday February 25 4:00 PM/3c
HONEY ALMOND CAKE WITH BERRIES AND MASCARPONE CRÈME FRAICHE
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. buttermilk
- 2¼ cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp. almond extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond meal flour
- 1½ tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, fresh
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 4 tbsp. half and half cream
- 3 (8-oz.) packages mascarpone, room temperature
- 1¼ cups crème fraiche
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- As needed, sliced toasted almonds
- As needed, fresh mint sprigs
- As needed whole Starwberries
Yield: 1 Three-Layer Cake
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
1. To prepare cakes: preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat three 8-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Place a round of parchment paper on the bottom of each pan; spray with cooking spray.
2. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine buttermilk, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract in bowl and mix until fully blended. With a rubber spatula, scrape down sides of bowl.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Add to buttermilk mixture and beat on low until fully blended. Scrape down sides of bowl.
4. Slowly add oil to buttermilk/flour mixture and beat on medium-low until fully blended.
5. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; invert on wire rack to release cakes.
6. To prepare glaze: combine honey, vanilla extract, lemon zest, confectioner’s sugar and half and half in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Brush tops and sides of warm cakes evenly with glaze. Cool cakes completely. (If making cakes ahead, wrap tightly and freeze.)
7. To prepare mascarpone crème fraiche: combine mascarpone, crème fraiche, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
8. To assemble cake: place first cake on cake pedestal or serving plate. Spread about ¼ of mascarpone crème fraiche over top of cake. Top with second cake layer. Spread about ¼ of mascarpone crème fraiche over top of cake. Top with third cake layer. Spread about ¼ of mascarpone crème fraiche over top of cake. Spread remaining ¼ of mascarpone crème fraiche on sides of cake to make a light crumb coating. Using a bench scraper or cake spatula, lightly scrape top and sides of cake to remove excess mascarpone crème fraiche forming a smooth surface.
I have read this book, and let me tell you what. If you don’t fall in love with Kelly and Andrew…..well let’s just say that you absolutely will and leave it at that.
I love Nancy Naigle. She is absolutely one of the sweetest people I have ever met! I got to meet her in person and then went and had a coffee with her!
I am absolutely looking forward to making this cake(doctored a bit for my unfortunate food allergies) and watching this movie.
Won’t you mark your calendars and watch it with me?